Phen375 Proactol LTD Advanced Health LTD Advanced Health LTD UniqueHoodia Slim Weight Patch

Book of the Week - Splendor: A Luxe Novel

What I’d like to try to do every Monday is write about one book I’ve read in the past week, hopefully I’ll be disciplined enough to follow through!


From We Heart It

This week I finally got my hands on Splendor: A Luxe Novel, the final instalment in Anna Godbersen’s Luxe Series. The series begins in 1899 and has a great Age of Innocence- meets-Gossip Girl vibe, there are even snippets of gossip from newspaper columnists interspersed throughout the novels to replace Gossip Girl’s online revelations. I was pretty much hooked on these fun and frothy books from the start and, needless to say, was very excited to finally crack open the final book.




At the end of the third novel, Envy, Diana Holland had cut off all her hair in an attempt to join the army to find her true love, the rich and rakish Henry Shoonmaker. Would Diana find Henry and could they finally be together after three books worth of drama and romantic longing? Would Diana’s sister, Elizabeth, be happy in her sham marriage to her father’s business partner or would she finally find her way back to the handsome and eligible Teddy Cutting? Would Carolina Broad find a place in society and win the heart of Leland Bouchard? And what would happen with Henry’s beautiful and scheming bride Penelope Hayes? So many questions just waiting to be answered!

"It is dull, always keeping up the
pretense of being good." - Rumors

I thought Splendor was a good novel and a very interesting, easy read, but it wasn’t my favourite in the series. I have to say I wasn’t particularly happy with some of the way the storylines were resolved. (Don’t read on if you don’t want to be spoiled…)




I guess I’m one of those loves-a-happy-ending girls and you just don’t get that with the Luxe series. Granted, the ending was probably more realistic than the one I had in mind, but it left me feeling kind of…sad. Diana travelled the world and risked everything to find her Henry only to leave him in favour of a life in Paris when they were finally able to be together.  Bananas!

I guess this choice (freedom over Henry) is supposed to show that Diana’s experiences and travels no longer make her able to survive in restrictive Manhattan society. Diana was always the free spirit and her actions seem in character, but I think it also shows that her love for Henry wasn’t as strong as first thought. It was something I had suspected all along—especially from Henry’s part as he had shown quite a bit of cowardice and weakness in the past when it came to he and Diana being together—but it was disappointing nonetheless.

I had gotten caught up in Diana and Henry’s romantic courtship and their love. I mean, when he gave her the necklace inscribed with “For My True Bride,” it was a moment full of romantic longing, even if it was technically his fault he was married to another woman.  I wanted more for them (and from them) but I guess that’s how the cookie crumbles. Henry belonged in Manhattan and Diana’s spirit couldn’t be stifled by polite society. Perhaps its fitting that Henry and Penelope end up together after all.  They seem, well, made for each other.

I had never been much interested in the Carolina storyline, but I did like the Leland Bouchard character. He and Teddy Cutting seem to be the two totally likeable characters in the entire series. I felt bad that Leland had to find out the truth they way he did. I suppose it’s believable that he could have forgiven Carolina her origins but not her lies.

The one ending I was cheering about was Elizabeth and Teddy Cutting. I had always thought he was her perfect match and I was so glad they ended up together and happy.

Have you read the Luxe series or Splendor? What are your thoughts?


Alla Prossima