Phen375 Proactol LTD Advanced Health LTD Advanced Health LTD UniqueHoodia Slim Weight Patch

Getaways Guest Blog Series: Sarah of Haute Design

Sarah and are her Haute Design blog are just, well, divine. I know I can always count on Sarah for beautiful images and a ton of inspiration. Here Sarah reveals her travel tips and secrets and tells us all about one of her favourite places in the world.




Favourite Vacation Spot

Provence, France – specifically Mazan, which is very close to Avignon.


Where to Stay

Chateau de Mazan – an absolutely gorgeous boutique hotel…


Where to Eat

I like to enjoy the local flavours - to stop in at a resataurant, café or the local market on a whim. Just a block away from the Chateau where we stayed was a charming, family-owned Pizzeria. I loved the environment and the food, of course!



What To Do

There’s nothing more fun than going out on foot and exploring the local areas…It’s one of my favorite things to do. When I travel, I make a list of some of the places that I would like to see, but other than that, remain open to new discoveries. I find it all the more fun!


When we were there, we rented a beautiful car so that we would have the freedom to drive around whenever and wherever we liked. I love Avignon and Marseille – both very different and gorgeous. You can tour the village and Avignon area…do a little shopping…you can drive to a local market…or head to Marseille for delicious seafood and a day at the beach. The nice thing about France is that there are small villages throughout the country, and each one, a little different.



Five Vacation Essentials

I have a neighbour who is very well-travelled and let me in on some of her best travel secrets. Beyond the most essential, I never leave without:

1. I carry hand sanitizers like they’re water bottles (I prefer wipes). They’re great when a restroom is not near or if you need to spot clean your clothing.

2. Safety pins. While in Paris, the zipper on my lovely new dress decided to malfunction. It was embarrassing to say the least! Safety pins can come in handy on so many occasions.

3. A travel-sized roll of tissues.

4. A small sewing kit.

5. Bandaids. So vital!


 

Vacation Clothing Staples
I work best with light layers. I pack pieces that will mix and match, yet give me a fresh look each day. I start with selecting one purse to carry at all times and a clutch for an alternative. From there I select one or two heels and a pair of flats (for certain days when you just want to be comfortable).


I almost always travel in a trench coat. It looks polished and is quite comfortable. A trench works with a dress, skirt or pants, and is classic. Little jackets/blazers that are versatile are also key. I also travel with one cozy sweater (unless it is summer), two or three scarves to add color and texture, two or three delicate tanks, a pair or two of black pants or equivalent, my favorite pair of jeans, and two dresses (one being the requisite LBD). I also bring one or two skirts and blouses, sleepwear, undergarments (extra just in case), loungewear and slippers for nights in the hotel, and toiletries (bring the essentials and your current nail polish colour for touch ups).

Also, I think that accessories are key! An amazing belt or necklace can easily transform an outfit and make a statement. Often I will also tuck in a little blank “Thank You“ card from my stationary box. You never know when it might come in handy! A kind gesture often goes a long way…



Packing Tips

1. ALWAYS pack liquids within sealable, plastic bags. I once had an oil leak and it created such a mess. I will never make that mistake again.

2. Give items a light steam before packing – it might not seem to make a difference, but it does. Alternatively, use a professional hair dryer. You won’t believe how well they work!

3. Think realistically. Do not pack items that are not comfortable. I always think comfort first and then pack my most stylish pieces from there.

4. A Little folder for receipts, business cards, notes, etc. This is so helpful when it comes to customs and sorting out purchased gifts for family/friends.



 
What I Bring for the Journey...

I always bring a notebook. I love to write down notes and thoughts, and can easily pass an hour or two just doing that. Also, one book and one or two magazines always come along with me. Oddly enough, I don’t pack an iPod.


Favourite Travelling Companion

My boyfriend and/or my mom. We travel so well together and have the same interests. We are easy going and love to have fun!


The Next Spot I'd Like to Visit...

I would love to visit Italy.





All photos by Sarah Klassen and David Arias unless otherwise noted.