Phen375 Proactol LTD Advanced Health LTD Advanced Health LTD UniqueHoodia Slim Weight Patch

The Great Couch Debate: Leather vs. Fabric


If I had unlimited funds, no husband, and someone to constantly clean up after me I know exactly how I'd like to decorate my house. Considering I don't, I'd like to keep the one I have, and that person is generally me, the things I'd love to see in my house are not always practical.


White sofa? Not so much. Light coloured dining chairs? Likely not the best option. Carrera marble countertops? A bit too much trouble for me. Same goes with a sofa in a brightly coloured hue. Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of changing out large pieces of furniture on a yearly basis so I'll stick with throw pillows to inject some colour into a room.


All of this debating--weighing what's beautiful against what's comfortable, what's practical against what's stylish--came to a head this weekend when we went looking for furniture. Originally M campaigned for a sectional sofa, but based on the layout of the room we've ruled it out. Then he sat on a leather sofa and fell in love. This couch was the real deal--good quality, supple leather with decent lines (I'm not into the uber modern leather look) and a good colour (I happen to love a vintage-y looking brown for leather but unfortunately it doesn't go with what we have, so the search has been on for a workable leather in another colour).

How great are the colours in this room?!

And while a good leather couch is likely more expensive than one in fabric it's also probably more durable and a hell of a lot easier to keep clean. I've always been drawn to a tufted, chesterfield-style sofa but have come to find that while beautiful it's also not as comfortable as other options, and I do want a couch that we want to curl up in.

So the question remains: leather or fabric? The decision needs to be made soon. Maybe one of each? I'd love to know what you think!


Photos via Decorpad