Phen375 Proactol LTD Advanced Health LTD Advanced Health LTD UniqueHoodia Slim Weight Patch

Getaways Guest Blog Series: Ali of Where's My Calling?

The first time I visited Ali McQuaid's blog Where's My Calling? I was immediately intrigued. I think most of us, at one time or another, have asked the same question Ali does: What do you do when your calling forgot to call? Well, if you're Ali, you dedicate every week of 2010 to trying something new in an effort to discover the things you love. And you blog about it. If you're like me and admire those who have the courage to strike out and follow their dreams then I'd suggest you take a look at Ali's blog, but not before checking out her getaway essentials first!


Favourite Vacation Spot

This is a seriously hard thing to pick for a vacationaholic! But, if I had one day left to live and absolutely had to choose, I would have to say my favourite spot on earth (so far) is Granada, Spain.


It is this amazing old city in the southern part of Spain with great history, architecture, a culture of free tapas and--most importantly--fantastic Sangria!



Where to Stay

My visit to Granada was in celebration of my graduation from university, so needless to say my trip was done on a tight budget, backpack, moccasins and all. I stayed at the Makuto Guesthouse, which was in my opinion the best spot in the city. (Mind you I did not get a chance to check out the rooms at La Bobadilla hotel. I'm sure they were okay, too). The Makuto Guesthouse is a hippie haven accessed through a long and narrow back alley way and had this incredible courtyard with a tent draped in colourful fabrics where hostel guests rented hookas by the hour to smoke flavoured sheesha while swinging in striped hammocks.

{via}


Where to Eat

Anywhere and everywhere! Restaurants line the streets, squares and alleys. Tapas are an institution and can range from tiny empanada pies to spicy pork stew. Most of the time your dinner is a surprise, the wait staff bring around whatever the chef feels like cooking.

{via}


What to Do

{View of Granada from the Alhambra}

If you find yourself in Granada, you must take a short bus ride up the hillside and visit the Alhambra Palace. It is over 600 years old and almost perfectly preserved. There are beautiful mosaics inside and the gardens and fountains surrounding the property are breathtaking and make for fantastic pictures.



Five Vacation Essentials

Good friends (the most essential part of any journey is the people you spend it with), digital SLR camera, a great pair of sunglasses, a great pair of shoes and my travel journal.



What I Pack

The first thing I pack is my bikini. The last thing I pack is my tooth brush, which means I sometimes forget it and have to buy a new one when I arrive at my destination. I should probably consider switching up the order of things I pack--it's way more fun to shop for a new bikini.

{DvF}


Favourite Travelling Companion

The more the merrier! My latest and greatest travel companion is my mom. She took me to New York City for my birthday this year, which means she jumps to the top of my favourite co-traveler list!



The Next Spot I'd Like to Visit...

Il De Re, France. I read about it in Traveler magazine a few months back and can't seem to get it out of my mind! I google pictures of it all the time!

{via}



All photos courtesy of Where's My Calling? unless otherwise noted.