Phen375 Proactol LTD Advanced Health LTD Advanced Health LTD UniqueHoodia Slim Weight Patch

Getaways Guest Blog Series: Nicki of The Cherry Closet

Nicki of The Cherry Closet is sweet and super chic. Not only does she run her own virtual vintage store, but she also authors a pretty awesome blog.  Here Nicki shares some beautiful memories and photos of her fave vacation destination, a country I hope to visit sometime in the near future!




Favourite Vacation Spot


A Charming little traditional fishing village in Portugal called Praia da Luz in the West Algarve. It's really beautiful, with cobbled streets, Portuguese pottery and cute little restaurants. Elderly locals nod their head in acknowledgement, cats wander the ancient walls and the atmosphere is quaint, low key and relaxed.


Where to Stay


I'm lucky my family have a villa there, but there are a number of gorgeous little apartments and seaside hotels overlooking the beach! The area suffered when the news of Madelaine McCann's disappearance brought floods of people to the area and negative press, but the location has remained a safe, reliable location to visit.


Where to Eat

Two of the best restaurants are:

Fortaleza - a 16th century medieval fortress turned into a restaurant! It serves incredible food, the decor is amazing and atmospheric (think old candlelit chandeliers and swords of armor) and you can sit outside overlooking the ocean. Gorgeous!

{via}

O'Celeiro - a traditional Portuguese restaurant with some eccentric offerings, including a giant pepper mill carried by two waiters, flowers served on your plate, and a giant glass of brandy served as a complimentary course after dessert! The waiters take a photograph of every table of diners and they keep volumes of dusty old books lined up on the shelves to look up in case you ever return!!


What to Do


You can rent a car and discover for yourself all the little coves, deserted beaches and surfers' paradises if you like to explore. If you stay local - Lagos is on your doorstep with the stunning marina and more nightlife. A weekly fish market is a popular event where you can buy fresh catches of the day and cook up a storm! There is a famous tourist attraction at Lagos also - the museum of medieval torture instruments - if that floats your boat!


You can also find cute boutique shops, endless cafes and it is, of course, a golfer's paradise. One place I would recommend seeing is "The edge of the world" - the western most part of Europe. It was where travelers believed you would fall off the edge of the ocean if you kept sailing! Very beautiful.



Five Vacation Essentials

* My iPod - Music makes a travelling experience, I believe! A mixture of all your favourite tunes - for travelling on a plane, snoozing on the beach, driving in the car or getting ready for a night out.

{via}

* Sun cream - Portugal can get very, very hot! So safety in the sun.

* A great book - Every holiday needs a great read. You soak up the sun and the words at the same time and remind yourself how much you love to read and that you don't find enough time to do it!

* Camera - I don't go anywhere without my camera. It's an essential!! It helps me slow down and appreciate what I'm seeing, and who doesn't love to revisit through images!

{via}

* Notebook and pen - I think a lot when I travel, and when I relax, so I enjoy finding the time to scribble down thoughts, ideas and ambitions.

{via}


Packing Tips

When I visit somewhere hot, sunny and chilled out like Luz, I tend to pack an obscene amount of light, floaty sun dresses and always end up buying even more out there! Pashmina scarves are a must too - for breezy walks by night and covering up in the sun in the day. My packing tip: leave enough space to take things back!

{via}

What I Bring for the Journey...

A good book, and my favourite playlist on the iPod. I'm also a puzzle freak so always include a sneaky crossword book or scrabble board to pass the time!! I always ensure I have lots of water to drink, moisturizer to refresh and just to be a diva, a silk sleeping eye mask goes a long way!

{via}


Favourite Travelling Companion

Probably my girlfriends! We know how to relax and enjoy each others company, or explore new places and try new experiences together.

The Next Spot I'd Like to Visit...

I 'm really keen on going to Japan, I have never been anywhere like that before and think it would be fascinating - the food, the fashion and the customs. Followed closely by Canada - for the scenery (and the odd Canadian Mounties too!!)

{via}


All photos courtesy of The Cherry Closet, unless otherwise noted.